photo ALD2_01_zps50dad88e.gif photo ALD2_02_zps675202e8.gif photo ALD2_03_zps760ab72c.gif photo ALD2_04_zps4c8c616a.gif photo ALD2_05_zps83ef5d6e.gif photo ALD2_06_zps31aa4937.gif

October 8, 2011

In the Kitchen: Whole Wheat Pancakes with Blueberry Compote

I've got a perfect weekend recipe to share with you! And it's healthy too! I recently found a new blog with all healthy recipes, and everything looks delicious -- Skinnytaste. She had a great recipe for whole wheat pancakes posted the other week, I tried it a few weekends ago and they were so delicious, they definitely didn't taste "healthy." I had some Michigan blueberries on hand, so I made a super easy compote as well (Food Network Recipe here). Here are the details...

Pancakes
Ingredients:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour or white whole wheat
- 4 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups + 2 tbsp fat free milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- cooking spray




Preparation:
Mix all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl, next add in the wet ingredients (eggs, milk, vanilla) and hand mix until there are no dry spots. Be careful not to over-mix.


Heat up a skillet over medium heat and spray lightly with cooking spray. Spoon the pancakes on using a 1/4 cup. When the bubbles on the pancakes set, flip over. Repeat with the remainder of the batter.

Blueberry Compote
Ingredients:
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice

Love me some Michigan blueberries!!


Preparation:
Combine 1 cup of the blueberries and water, sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the rest of the blueberries and cook for 8 more minutes, making sure to stir frequently. I ended up having some compote leftover and used it on the oatmeal the next day, equally delicious. And I had no idea how easy it is to make! Since it calls for frozen blueberries, you could be making this all winter long!



When both are done, pour some of the compote over a stack of pancakes. Yum!



Happy Weekend :) Linking up to Tasty Tuesdays at Big Sister's blog today and the Cast Party over at Lady Behind the Curtain! Head over for tons of great recipes!

3 comments:

  1. Looks delish Beege. I just had some Michigan Blueberries in my oatmeal...yum. I think they might be the last of the season though. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I am making those this weekend. They look SO good. However I will be using Carbon's mix (from Niles, MI!)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me feel special. Leave a little something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails